Dependent Visas Canada

Canada work permit holders can bring their spouse, common-law partner and dependent children to Canada. Spouse/common-law partner and dependent children can stay in Canada but would not be eligible to work. If the dependent is willing to work, they have to apply for their own Work Permit with an LMO from Canadian employer.

Eligibility Criteria for a Sponsor

  • The sponsor should have a valid Canada Work Permit
  • Sponsorship agreement should be signed between the sponsor and his/her sponsored dependent to commit to providing financial support if needed
  • The sponsor needs to provide financial support to spouse/common-law partner and dependent children.

Eligibility Criteria for Spouse

A person can migrate as a spouse

  • If he/she is married to their sponsor and the marriage is officially valid.
  • If a person has married in Canada, they should provide a marriage certificate issued by the province where the marriage took place.
  • If a person has married outside Canada, then the marriage must be valid under the law of the country where it occurred and under Canadian law. Marriages that happen in an embassy or consulate should be in accordance with the law of the country where it took place, not the country of citizenship of the embassy or consulate.

Common-law partner

Canada work permit holders living in Canada can sponsor their common-law partner and eligible dependent children. Applicants who have been residing with their qualifying Canadian partners for a period of 1 year or more in an ongoing relationship can be sponsored under this visa. They need to prove that they are in a genuine and continuing relationship and should have resided together at a common address.

The sponsor and the partner should intend to live together in Canada and an undertaking should be given by the sponsor to provide for all of the applicant's basic needs for a period of 3 years from the partner's arrival to Canada.

Dependent children

Canada work permit holders living in Canada can apply to sponsor their or their partner's dependent or adopted children. A son or daughter is dependent when the child:

  • Is below the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner
  • Is a full-time student and is considerably dependent on a parent for financial support since before the age of 22 or
  • Is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a mental or physical disability

Visa processing time is approximately between 2-3 months and depends completely on embassy.

Contact Global Immigration Consultant for more info!

Have questions? Ask a specialist